I came up with this recipe when I had some left over filo pastry in the freezer and had a sudden sweet craving.
Mixed Berry Pastry
4 or 5 sheets of Filo Pastry
1/2 cup Mixed Berries
1 TBSP Cocoa powder
2 TBSP White Sugar (or substitute)
1/2 TSP Cinnamon
1 TSP Vanilla Essence
1 TSP Corn Flour
2 TBSP Butter
1. Remove pastry from freezer atleast 1 hour before using. (I was impatient and ended up with lots of cracked pieces....be patient). You also want to have you oven preheated to 180°c and have a tray lined with baking paper ready to go.
2. In the meantime, prepare the filling by adding berries, cinnamon, cocoa, sugar and vanilla to a bowl and mix so berries are coated. Put in the microwave for 1 minute to warm up the berries and heat some of the sugar.
3. With a fork, press the warm berries to release some juices and mix around so there a sauce forms with the berries.
4. Sprinkle the corn flour into mixture to thicken the sauce up. Make sure to taste to ensure right balance of sweetness. Add more sugar if too much cocoa.
5. To prepare pastry, have a clean work surface and have a bowl ready with the melted butter. Lay a sheet down at time and brush each layer. Layer about 4 or 5 sheets.
6. Spoon the mixture into centre of the pastry and then fold up the sides. You can make any shape that you wish. Brush a little more butter on the top and sprinkle with some extra sugar.
7. Place the pastry on the baking tray and bake in the oven. I find it best to keep and eye on the pastry. After about 15 minutes check on it for browning around the edges. The pastry is the only part we are really cooking so it's easy to keep track of it by sight.
My oven has a stronger element at the bottom so it cooks underneath quicker. In my case, I then have to turn on the grill to brown the top.
Enjoy the pastry!!!!